Tuesday, September 22, 2009

>Hiccup<

My computer crashed 4 days ago and I got it back last night.

Pros = I lost nearly no data, I have a newfound respect for being a diligent backer-up, I can resume working, I can again enjoy some leisurely computing moments such as these, and I will not be trying to input some inane status update via my phone.

Cons = I have a newfound fear of this happening again with MUCH worse results, I've lost two days of work that I can't get back, I have to spend some time checking and verifying my backup system to be sure that when the worst happens, my contingencies will actually work.

All in all it could be much worse than what it was, but still a hassle and 4 days of worry about the results of the scanning, testing, and analysis of the hard drive and what the next step would be.

As a result of this little snafu (and oddly I admit), I also seem to feel the need to eat more salad, greens, veggies, etc. and layoff the excess calories no matter how delicious. Perhaps my subconscious is detecting a further reckoning with Karma on a grander scale than just experienced. Warning signs are all too often there, and all too often overlooked. I'd hate for this (relatively) minor incident to be enviable compared to some other near-future event...

Having said that, I've had cause (and time not being on the computer) to reflect on some things and hold the following truths to be self-evident:
> I believe the universe attempts to seek a balance.
> I believe in Karmic retribution.
> I believe that you better get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.
> I believe that what you give is what you get.
> I believe in doing unto to others as you'd have done to you.
> I believe laughter is the best medicine.
> I believe in love.

Sorry if this post appears a bit reflective or maudlin but when events conspire against the normal run of play, it makes you sit up and take notice, even briefly. As I said, the warning signs are all too often around us and all too often ignored. A little proaction doesn't hurt ever does it?

So, if you are reading this right now, you have been warned. Warned that there is a warning sign somewhere you're ignoring. Pick one of them, any one of them, evaluate the possible outcomes and take action to alleviate a bad thing before it happens. It may seem not the right time or possibly inconvenient at that moment, but just an ounce of prevention, people... an ounce of prevention...

No comments: